In my mission to discover (remember) my soul’s purpose, I asked myself at least a thousand times, “what is my calling in life?” In essence, what am I here to accomplish?
Some people know early on that they want to be a teacher, doctor, nurse, police officer, artist or musician. When you ask them why, there is an exact reason for it, a cause they are serving from deep within. I admire those people. They just know. Always have.
I am not one of them. I AM convinced I have a definite thing I am here to do. I am also convinced there is a definitely way that I will accomplish it. Whatever “it” is.
Then something occurred to me. Maybe it’s not about job title or label. But rather, HOW I impact others in each moment. The energy I bring forth. Starting with my own family, and branching outward to neighborhood, town, state, country, continent, planet.
Time is precious; humanity needs healing; the collective is waiting to be elevated! I didn’t want to waste another minute just living. I wanted to live and breathe and act in specific answer to the question “what’s it all for?”
Calling: a strong inner impulse toward a particular course of action especially when accompanied by conviction of divine influence.
So I committed to an inner investigation. I was determined to unearth my own impulses. Those impulses have divine meaning; seeds planted by God.
I meditated. I contemplated. I journalled. I asked questions and opened myself up to receiving the answers. I got silent, and only then could I hear what the universe was telling me. I continue to watch and listen and act on the clues. And through these newly discovered impulses, I am moving in the direction of my true calling. Every minute of every day. Or at least most minutes of most days. I can feel it! And it feels right!
Here are some questions to ask yourself. They served me well; may they serve you too.
- When are you the most happy? Content? Satisfied? Fulfilled?
- What activities excite you?
- What topics light you up inside?
- What struggles in the world touch your heart the deepest?
- How do you best communicate – through words, sounds, movement or pictures?
- If neither money nor failure were of concern, what would you be doing right now?
- If you were granted three wishes, what would they be?
- Who do you have the most connection with? Specific people, or groups of people.
- Is there anything you are drawn to for no logical reason?
- Have you ever been in a state of flow? What were you doing when this occurred?
If you feel like sharing, I’d love to hear what came up for you.